This week at Sea Island has been really exciting. I have moved around to several stores to get a feel for all of them. They are all so different and I have had so much fun learning how each of them are run differently. I have mostly been working in the Sea Island Shop, which has
high-end designer merchandise and is the nicest shop on the island. They carry men's and women's clothing and accessories, as well as gifts. Peter Millar is the number one vendor for Sea Island and it is carried in all of the shops on the island. I wasn't familiar with the brand before I started working here but I have quickly learned that it is very loved by many of the customers. The Sea Island Shop requires
extra care of the guests. But I have also worked in the Surf Shop, which is in
the Beach Club. It’s extremely busy all day, every day and it carries beach
toys and swimsuits. It’s near the beach so its much more casual in the way that
shoppers can have only a bathing suit on, whereas the Sea Island Shop is much
nicer. I didn’t think I would like working at the Surf Shop because I had been
warned how crazy it can be but I’m actually very glad I worked there to be able
to compare the two shops. I think I best fit the Sea Island Shop because I’m
more soft spoken and the environment is more my personality. I also worked in
the Spa Shop one day this week. It is very different from the other two shops
because the majority of its merchandise is lotions and facial products. It was
very quiet all day and we didn’t have much traffic in the store. Then I also
spent a day in the retail offices shadowing the buyer, the receiver, and the administrative position. I actually really liked this side of their system. Being on the floor and interacting with customers is fun and very informative, but I know I am good at desk work and I think I may want to pursue something on the administrative side.
The reputation of Sea Island is incredible. It is a 5 star resort and it is known all over the world. I have been told it is ranked as one of the top 5 places to visit in the world. They are known for their customer service and from working here, I can tell it is something they work really hard at. I have had really good experiences with everyone I have worked with. Everyone is extremely nice and is always willing to answer any questions. I think I fit the company culture because the company fits my personality and they have a family atmosphere. I haven't had any difficulties yet but I have had one disappointment this week. We were told that a rep from Peter Millar was coming this week to merchandise their product in the Sea Island Shop. I emailed my manager and asked if I could be placed in the store when she comes because I would love to observe. My manager was thrilled and happily let me come to the store while the rep was there. I was disappointed with the visit because the rep began by saying "this isn't something I can teach you." She was very unwilling to show me her thought process or answer questions. She gave me a table of shirts to fold to keep me busy. However, it was worth a shot and I'm glad I at least asked to observe.
I have learned so many new things already. I think my favorite day was shadowing in the retail offices. I loved seeing the "behind the scenes" of everything that goes on to be able to run the stores.
I have really great living arrangement on St. Simons Island. I am living with a UGA FM grad, Whitney Stone, and a UGA marketing major. None of us knew each other before we moved in together but it has worked out really well so far.
Next week I am looking forward to visiting the retail offices again. There is a rep coming for the buyers to preview a line and place orders. I have never seen the process before so I am very excited to be able to get involved.
No comments:
Post a Comment