Saturday, June 22, 2013

Week 5 at Sea Island

Sea Island as a whole sells a little bit of everything. More specifically in the Sea Island Shop, we sell women's clothing, scarves, belts, handbags, hats, jewelry, men's clothing, shoes, socks, belts, ties, cuff links, and baseball hats. We also sell a variety of gift items such as serving trays and Christmas ornaments.

I would say that overall Sea Island is classic with a Southern flair. Some of the women's clothing is trendy but the men's is strictly classic. The most trendy the men's clothing gets is a golf shirt in a bright color.

The retail department uses 2.2 markup on most things but I know that beach toys are marked up even more.

I was involved in an inventory process this week and received training for that. We used handheld scanners to scan every item that was for sale in the store. The entire store was split up between 8 people. Next, we viewed the variances - we what actually have in inventory and what we are supposed to have in inventory. Then we spent the next few hours looking for the items that are missing. After, we conclude that we have looked everywhere and couldn't find the remaining missing items and we send the variance number to the Retail Director to accept. The variance was less than 1% so she accepted.

By this point, I have gotten a good idea of each employee's work ethic. I know which ones are really good at keeping the merchandise looking good and which ones don't straighten when they should. It is easier to know your coworker's habits because you can alter your actions to better work together.

I am still learning more information but I would like more time in the offices to see that side of the department. I have expressed this to my boss and she said after July 4th (our busiest time of year) she could work this out.

In the next couple weeks, July 4th is coming up and with it being so busy, I know it will definitely be a challenge. I'm hoping to learn even more through this experience.

Here are a few pictures of the merchandise that we sell in the Sea Island Shop. These are the most popular brands we sell.

 

Michael Kors, Kate Spade, Trina Turk

Lilly Pulitzer, Kate Spade


Mud Pie Gifts


Assorted jewelry


DVF Handbangs and clutches


Assorted Peter Millar products


Men's Peter Millar and Martin Dingman shoes

Peter Millar outfits

No comments:

Post a Comment